Wednesday, August 18, 2010

That Crumpled Paper was Due Last Week

     This week I finished up That Crumpled Paper was Due Last Week:  Helping Disorganized and Distracted Boys Succeed in School and Life by Ana Homayoun.
     Once again the title grabbed my attention and I had to read it because I happen to know lots of disorganized and distacted boys, including my son.  Nick's backpack is always full of crumpled up pieces of paper no matter how many folders or organization ideas we put into place.  Since I am dreading another year of helping him survive school, I was looking for pearls of wisdom.
     The book is very organized and looks at multiple aspects of the problem, along with ways to fix them.  Nick and I talked about several ideas in the book and are putting them into place for the new year. 
     The first idea was cleaning his room and getting rid of all of the things he doesn't use or need anymore.  We moved his desk to a new part of the house where he will be near everyone, but not in the middle of things to get distracted.
     One hard thing to read was parents often sabotage disorganized boys by pushing them to achieve or getting mad at their disorganization.  Guilty, as charged.  I am going to back away and let Nick do it so it isn't a control issue for him.  I let him go to the store and look at the organization systems they had.  He picked out the one that he thinks will work best for him.  Hoping he's right about that!
     The rest of the ideas will go into place next week, starting with the first day of school.  I'll have to let you know how it goes.  I am hopefully optimistic.  If nothing else, at least his room is still clean.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment